Saturday, September 8, 2007

Armenian Cucumbers and How to Hypnotize a Chicken







Jentel Presents, the monthly presentation and reading done by the artists in residence, went wonderfully. We had a crowd of about 30 plus people in the local bookstore in Sheridan and the proprietress P. was a delight and set out plushy chairs and a lamp and created a stage for us. My fellow artists did beautifully and my reading went quite well. I read all new poems and they were received with delight. I was nervous because they are all about wildfires and this community really goes though it in the summer (two people died just a few weeks ago from a local fire). But the book sales (12!) told it all.

It was the first reading I’ve done in a while when I didn’t read a vegetable poem. It felt wonderful to be slowly leaving that part of my poetic life behind and beginning something new. Of course, I’m still a veggie devotee. The next day J., D., and I journeyed to the farmer’s market where I bought the biggest cucumber of my life. Armenian cucumbers are enormous and sweet and juicy. Even the big ones retain their delightful summer lushness. My chicken muse enjoyed riding this one with the help of J. (see picture).

And, since the chicken was out and about, S. graced us with stories of her upbringing in Napa where she and her sisters hypnotized their chickens. "It requires great gentleness, swiftness, and the ability not to laugh." She could, on a good day, before they got wise, line up 5 in a row, on their bellies, beaks pointed in a straight line. (see pictures with the gracious chicken muse, now prop)

Two of the people who came to the reading were the farmers who grew the cucumber. They saw me approaching their booth and said, “It’s the poet!! It’s the poet!!” with such glee I wanted to buy everything they were offering (their tomatoes are some of the best I’ve ever had anyway).

Sheridan, Wyoming: fantastic produce, generous people, cowboys with huge belt buckles that tip their hats when you walk by, cowgirls with sequined belts and tight jeans, bountiful sky, great thrift shops, and a community that digs poetry. What more could an artist want? Thanks, Jentel. Thanks, Sheridan. A girl couldn’t feel more welcome.

4 comments:

lioness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lioness said...

The top 10 reasons Claudia should come to New York instead of Wyoming.
10. We have an indoor pool. No more pesky stars distracting you from swimming.
9. The thrift shops have more upscale castoffs to peruse.
8. The cucumbers are not so scary big.
7. You can write directly on the walls and not risk a dangerous glassine paper cut.
6. You will not be accidentally smothered by pillows while napping.
5. No one wears sequined belts.
4. There are a lot more than 12 people who like poetry in the state. (Think book sales!)
3.Our tomatoes are just as good as theirs! (Pout, pout)
2. I miss you!
And the number one reason Claudia must come to New York . . .
1.The chicken muse torture must stop!

EssBee said...

I LOVE your blog. Awesome, radish, just awesome.

An old CSU pal.

Ana-Maurine Lara said...

CLAUDIA- I miss you - can't wait to talk again. I love your writings on your blog. Are you back home?
love - ana